Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Suitcase Dilemma

Hey look!  I actually have a short story to share!  LOL
JL-

*****

Mark had been patient.  He knew he had.  It had been four days and other than one request—not an order, a request—he’d said nothing.  But he knew now that his patience was gone.  He’d tripped over the item too many times and been forced to maneuver around the extra obstacle in their bedroom for too many days.  He rubbed his bruised shin as he shouted firmly, “Connor, come here!”
There were several seconds of silence, and then the shuffling of feet on the stairs alerted him that his command was being obeyed.  When Connor appeared at the top of the stairs, his expression was wary.  “What’d I do?”
Mark pointed at the offending object.  “We got back from Lake Tahoe four days ago and you still haven’t finished unpacking that suitcase and put it away.  I just banged my shin on it again.”
“I’m sorry.  I just haven’t gotten around to it.”
Mark rolled his eyes.  “Connor, that’s ridiculous.  It will take ten minutes to empty it and put it in the closet.  I know there had to be a spare ten minutes in your time over the last few days.  I’ve even seen you take items out of it to use since we’ve returned.”
Connor’s posture got defensive.  “You and I both spent the day we got back resting from jet lag and catching up on things that happened while we were gone.  Then we went back to work, and made plans to finish the basement, and then unexpectedly babysat last night for the Colson’s.  It’s been busy.  Sheesh.  It’s just a suitcase.  If it bothers you so much, why didn’t you take care of it?  It’s not like you don’t know where everything goes.”
That statement was definitely crossing the line into disrespect, and they both knew it.  One step was all it took to close the space between them and Mark gripped Connor above the elbow, turned him, and laid down two hard swats.
Connor yelped, his voice immediately getting politer.  “Sorry!  Sorry!  I didn’t mean it like that.”
Mark could tell from the tone and body language that his partner was expecting a few more smacks, but he held back.  He’d gotten the other man’s attention and quickly dealt with the bratty attitude.  He was no believer in overkill when it came to discipline.
“How did you mean it then?” he asked.
Connor’s expression became what Mark thought of as his puppy-eyes.  Although the look was totally sincere and not in the least manipulative as Mark had seen on other people.  “Just that you’re making a bigger deal out of it than necessary.  It’s just a suitcase.”  His look turned a bit more repentant.  “I am sorry you hurt your shin though.”
“Thank you, but it’s time I see some action behind the apology.  I want that emptied and put away now, and without the snarky attitude.”
On that order, Connor’s shoulders slumped, and his expression was momentarily so sad that Mark was startled. 
“Babe?  What’s wrong?”
Connor’s shoulders lifted in a shrug.  “Nothing.”
“Then why such a morose look?  What’s so upsetting about unpacking what’s left in your suitcase and putting it away?”
Connor shrugged again, but he answered.  “It’s just…it returns everything to normal.”
Mark frowned, unsure what Connor meant, and why the other man felt “normal” was something to be upset about.  “Normal?”
Nodding, Connor slumped more than sat on the edge of their bed and looked up at him with a dejected expression.  “I hate unpacking.”
That wasn’t new information to Mark.  Their current predicament with the suitcase had happened several times throughout their years as a couple.  Now though, Mark was getting clued in that there was more to the situation than performing a dreaded chore.
“What’s so awful about unpacking, Connor-love?”
Connor sighed, his eyes looking a mixture of sad and almost regretful.  “It’s just, unpacking everything is like admitting vacation is over.  All the fun times, the relaxing, the experiences…they’re over with.”
Mark nodded.  “That’s true, but it doesn’t mean we’ll never take another vacation or have other fun times.”
“I know that, but right now it feels like all there is for our immediate future is the drudgery of jobs, and just day-to-day living.  It’s a let-down.”
Mark worked hard to focus on Connor’s feelings of vacation let-down and not be hurt over his husband’s evaluation of their normal, everyday life.  Reaching for Connor’s hands, he gripped them gently.  “We did have a great vacation, and it would be wonderful if life could always feel that way.  But, I think the reality is that even vacations can reach a point of running their course and becoming not as fun anymore.”
“Yeah, I know,” Connor agreed, although he didn’t look like he wanted to accept that.
“Tell me, what is it that you most hate about returning to our ‘normal’?  I know it’s not exactly exciting or new everyday.  Are we lacking in some way?”
Connor’s immediate shaking of his head relieved Mark’s heart a little.  “No, it’s not that.  I guess that when we go on vacation, it feels like the ideal, you know?  We get to spend all day together, doing things we both enjoy, taking life as it comes without stressing about things.  Now we’re back to spending eight or more hours a day apart at our jobs, seeing each other in passing as we run errands, or hurry to work.  It feels like there’s nothing much to look forward to.”
A look suddenly crossed Connor’s face, and he seemed to realize how what he said sounded.  “Oh gosh, Mark.  I’m sorry!  I’m making it sound like I hate our life, and I swear I don’t.”
“I know you don’t, love.  I know.  But I think maybe you have some valid points.”
“I do?”
Mark nodded.  “We’ve been playing a lot of catch-up at our jobs since we got back, so you’re right that our time together just being a couple and enjoying ourselves evaporated kind of quickly when we got back home.  And you’re right that there’s nothing real exciting that we have planned right now, unless you consider grocery shopping or mowing the lawn as exciting.”
“I really don’t.”
Mark chuckled.  “Neither do I.  However,” he squeezed Connor’s hands, “I love knowing that I get to be with you every day, even if we aren’t doing anything exciting.  I love sitting at our table or in our living room to eat together.  I love hearing you in the shower in the morning, and the sounds you make when you drink your first cup of coffee.  I know those things aren’t exactly exciting, but they are things I look forward to and that I miss when they don’t happen.  They make me feel…” he shrugged, “…content.”
Connor’s eyes had softened and some of the sadness faded from his eyes.  “You’re right.  There’s something to be said for contentment.  It makes me happy to hold your hand, to hear you greet me from the kitchen when I come home from work, and how we agree to skip watching the news and try our luck at Jeopardy instead.”
“I’m glad to hear it,” Mark stated.  “But maybe we need to mix some excitement into our lives as well, things we can look forward to together.”
“Like what?”
“Well….”  Mark tugged until Connor got the message and moved onto his lap.  “Let’s think of some things.  Are we ruling out the normal activities like movies, putt-putt, and bowling?”
Connor grinned.  “Let’s maybe keep them in reserve.  Although, come to think of it, you and I have never gone mini-golfing before….”
“Putt-putt,” Mark corrected with a grin.
Mini-golf,” Connor insisted, smiling right back.  “That might be something to do together at least once.”
“Alright.  Let’s put it on the list.”
“What list?”
“The one we’re making right now, smart-mouth,” Mark said, and gave a light swat to Connor’s jeans.  “And I have something to add to it.  Remember our third date?”
“Do I?  That was the group outing to the renaissance fair that never happened.  Your buddy’s van got stuck in the mud when he veered off the road while playing with the radio.  We all got filthy trying to unstick it, and when that didn’t work, had to pay to have it towed out.  I hope you’re not suggesting we do that again!”
Laughing, Mark shook his head.  “No, but…maybe we could try to actually make it to a renaissance fair again.  There’s one about two hours from us that is open ever weekend until October.  Maybe we should go.”
Grinning, Connor nodded.  “That sounds fun.  Will you dress up as a white knight for me?”
“Mmm, maybe…if you dress up like Robin Hood.  You’d look fetching in skin-hugging tights.”
That brought an all out laugh. “Fetching?”
“Yes, that’s the renaissance thing to say,” Mark asserted.
“Oh is it?”
“Yep.  So now we have the fair on the list, and it’s your turn.  What exciting experience would you like to plan for us?”
Connor settled more into Mark’s arms and thought about it.  “This might seem kind of silly, but you know that zoo in Revard County?  Sometimes I see commercials for it on tv and it kind of makes me want to go.  I haven’t been to a zoo since I was a kid, and this one has a manmade waterway that goes through it.  You can rent kayaks and do a water tour if you want.”
“I think that sounds fun.  We should put that one at the top of our list.”
“Really?”
“Really, and we should definitely rent the kayaks.”
Smiling and looking much happier than he had a few minutes earlier, Connor gently poked Mark’s side.  “Your turn to pick something.”
“Okay…let me think a minute.”  He ran his hand absently up and down Connor’s back, and one corner of his mouth lifted in amusement and his husband moaned in pleasure at the sensation.  The sound also gave him an idea.  “What about a couple’s massage, love?”
“A couple’s massage?”
“Yeah, I saw a flyer being passed out for them while we were on vacation.  I bet there’s some local places around here that do them as well.”
“Okay, let’s try it.”
“Well, that gives us four things so far to look forward to,” Mark said.  “And we can add to the list as we wish.  Sound good?”
Connor answered with a long kiss, and then laid his head on Mark’s shoulder.  “It sounds great.  Thank you, Mark.”
“You’re welcome, love.  Now,” he patted Connor’s bottom.  “You have a suitcase to unpack and put away.  And while you’re doing that, I’ll grab the calendar in the kitchen and we can see what days we can start scheduling these things, alright?”
“Alright.  And Mark?”
“Yeah?”
“Thanks again.  I love you.  Whether we’re doing boring, mundane things, or planning excitement, I’m glad to do it all with you.”
Mark replied with a deep kiss of his own.  “Me too, love.  Me too.”



6 comments:

  1. I love Mark and Connor! Sweet story, gave me some ideas! 😉 I was so happy when I saw thid story. I check regularly. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lori! I'm so glad you're still checking. I'm still writing. It just seems like it goes VERY slowly!
    JL-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very happy to see a new story, I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dragonquest :) I'm so glad people still check my blog. I am writing, I just rarely seem to finish anything! LOL
      JL-

      Delete
  4. This was a cutie story and being that I just came back from vacation I know exactly how Connor was feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steph :) I just got back from vacation too. I'd started this story ages ago, but finally felt inspired to finish it...probably because of coming back from vacation. Thank you!
      JL-

      Delete