Friday, May 6, 2016

The Travelers - Chapter 12



Chapter 12

Seren, no matter how late he went to bed, had a hard time sleeping past the sixth hour on any morning.  He’d been rising at that time for as long as he could remember, and it was so ingrained in his body that he never needed an alarm to rouse him.
This morning was no different, but he lingered in bed for a while before deciding a shower was needed to wake up fully. 
He was dressed, although still sporting damp hair, when there was a knock on his door.  That was unexpected.  Oz, Cayson and Amrynn weren’t due for almost another hour, and he knew he shouldn’t be needed in the Directional room since they were no longer flying. 
His mind deduced that another problem had probably arisen, which might mean he’d have to delay other plans for the day.  Hoping it was nothing serious, he answered the door and ended up surprised to see Corbin on the other side.
“Backer Corbin?  Is there a problem?”
The young Traveler appeared nervous, but he shook his head.  “No, Charge Seren.  I just thought you were probably expecting this.”  He lifted his hand to offer a collection of handwritten pages.  Seren remembered then that part of Corbin’s discipline had been to write out the safety tenets the Travelers were expected to follow.
“Come in, Corbin,” he said as he accepted the papers.  “Give me a moment to look these over.”
He noted that the young man seemed both happy and nervous to follow him inside, but he didn’t comment on either emotion.  With half an eye on his guest, Seren read through the papers, pleasantly surprised at the neat handwriting and completeness of the assignment.  He nodded once when he was done reading.
“Very acceptable, Backer Corbin.  I’m pleased to see you took the assignment seriously.”
“Thank you, sir,” he replied sincerely.  “I, um, thought you’d like this as well.”
From a pocket he withdrew another paper that appeared to have been carefully folded.  Seren took the proffered item curiously and unfolded it.  He was surprised and pleased at the paper’s contents, for it contained a sincere apology—not to Pilot Sabik, but to him.  Seren thought that the young man’s earnest effort showed that there was growth happening amongst the general immaturity.
“Thank you, Backer Corbin.  I didn’t expect this, but I appreciate it.  I’m glad to know there are no hard feelings between us.”
The young Traveler flushed slightly and nodded.  “None from me, sir.”
“And none on my end,” Seren assured.  “Come,” he then invited.  “I have an appointment at the eighth hour, but I was about to have some nectar.  Would you like some?”
“Yes sir!” Corbin replied with pleasure.
Seren waved the man to a seat and set about making the hot beverage.  “Have you eaten?”
“Not yet, Charge.  I was going after I delivered those things to you.”
“Well, you’re welcome to have a bite.  I’m afraid I don’t keep much food here, but I was going to warm some bread to have with my nectar.  Shall I make some for you too?”
Corbin seemed unsure whether it was proper to accept the invitation, but he nodded after just a moment’s thought.  “Yes please, sir.”
Seren almost told him what he told most Travelers in his quarters, that in his room he was “Seren”, not Charge or Sir, but he held back this time, feeling that it was still necessary for Corbin to recognize the authority over him.  However, that didn’t mean that he wanted to flaunt his clout over the younger man.  He set a plate of warm bread down for each of them and handed Corbin the cup of nectar.
“Careful.  It’s hot,” he warned. 
Corbin nodded and blew a few times before taking a sip.  “It’s good.  Thank you,” he offered.
Seren nodded once.  “I’m not overly handy in meal-making, but nectar is a necessity and it’s one thing I do make well, if I do say so myself.  Do you cook much?”
Corbin shook his head.  “No.  I never liked to.  It’s boring.”
Seren offered a small smile.  “What do you find interesting?”
Corbin shrugged, but he had a different answer than his body language dictated.  “I like drawing and building.  I can’t do that on ship though,” he mildly groused.
“No, building isn’t much use on board, but I know you’re gifted in that area.  I toured some of the structures on Arlytia that you had a hand in. I’m sure your talents will be in high demand once we establish a settlement on Neveah.  You can draw anywhere though.”
“Yeah, but drawing needs…inspiration,” the young man tried to explain.  “And there isn’t much inspiring on a space ship.”
“I might disagree with you there,” Seren stated.  “The star systems I’ve observed while we were flying were some of the most incredible sights I’ve seen.  We also still have music and friendships on ship, which tends to invoke inspiration in some.  I know you’ve been assigned to the Agriculture wing as well.  Don’t plants or nature inspire you at all?”
Corbin made a face.  “I hate farming and planting.  Nature is pretty enough, but I like to draw ideas.”
“Ideas?  Like abstracts?” Seren asked.
Corbin shook his head.  “No.  I mean I like to draw my ideas: buildings I want to construct, renovations, furniture to make.  I’d rather design a garden than plant one.”
Seren took a sip of his nectar and nodded.  “I see.”
Corbin ducked his head in apparent embarrassment.  “It probably sounds stupid, but I am good at it.”
“I know you are,” Seren said serenely.
“You do?”
The Charge nodded.  “I’ve seen some of your drawings, Corbin, just as I’ve seen the building projects you were part of on Arlytia.  The details you’re able to include are amazing.  Your designs are definitely inspired, and I wouldn’t mind someday engaging you to design a house for me.  When I was working with Chief Win to pick Travelers, your name came up more than once as far as your ability both in drafting and in the know-how to construct those things you’ve designed, not to mention your creativity with limited materials.”
“Really?”
“Really,” Seren assured.  “You were the right pick, Corbin.  I still believe that.”
Corbin’s face brightened considerably.  “Thank you!  I wasn’t sure you’d think that after…”  As fast as his expression had lifted, it fell.
Seren suspected that an element of reassurance might have played into Corbin’s early morning arrival.  “I don’t regret picking you, Corbin.  Although, I don’t regret the discipline I handed out either.  I know it was hard to face, but you did well.  I’m also glad the whole event is still strongly on your mind.  You have an exceptional ability, but you have a tendency to argue and even disobey when it is most definitely the wrong choice.  Like I said yesterday, I need to be able to trust my fellow Travelers, and I think maybe you’re still learning what that entails.”
Corbin wasn’t looking reassured, and Seren needed to silently remind himself that the man’s errors were dealt with and in the past, and he needed something other than discipline right then.
“But we all have our faults, Corbin, just like we all have our strengths.  I’m looking forward to seeing you be able to use the talents in your possession once we’re on Neveah.”
That did seem to lift his guest’s spirits again.  “I haven’t drawn much since we left Arlytia, but I brought a lot of my old drawings with me on the ship.  You can see them if you want.”
There was a knock on Seren’s door almost as soon as the words left Corbin’s mouth.  Seren glanced at the door and then back at the young man.
“I would like to see them sometime, but I’m afraid now isn’t good.  I have a meeting with some of the Charges at the moment.
“Oh, ok.”  Corbin looked disappointed, but not necessarily let down.  “I guess I should go.”
He rose, swallowing the last of his nectar and Seren moved to answer the door.  With his back to the younger man, he missed Corbin’s look of surprise and resulting scowl when Charges Ozias, Cayson, and Amrynn were shown in.  They looked surprised to see him as well, but after the initial greeting from Seren, they offered hellos to him.  Corbin answered back, but there was a clear glare at Oz.  His previous good mood in Seren’s company evaporated.
“What are you doing here?” Corbin asked high-handedly, surprising everyone else in the room.
Oz had a lot of patience, but the tone in the young Backer did not please him; although it seemed to please Charge Seren even less.  The Charge Pilot’s earlier cordiality was gone as he stepped up to his guest.
“Backer Corbin, is that the way to greet anyone, although most especially your current Charge?”
It was clear that Corbin thought there was no easy answer to that question.  “I…no, but…he’s…”
Corbin’s words were disjointed and his head kept swinging back and forth between Ozias and Seren.
Oz quickly recovered from the surprise of Corbin’s discourteous tone and approached his leader.  “Charge Seren, may I speak with Backer Corbin for a few minutes?”
Seren didn’t answer immediately, but after a moment decided that if there was an issue between Corbin and Ozias, then it would be good if it could be handled between them.
“Yes, Charge Ozias, you can.  But I’m afraid the only privacy would be to go into the washroom.”
“That will be fine,” Oz assured, and a Look at Corbin had the young man reluctantly following him.
When the door closed behind them, Oz pointed to the one seat in the room and directed Corbin to sit, which the Backer did very reluctantly and with a scowl still etched on his features.  Oz crossed his arms, his expression stern but questioning.
“Backer Corbin, I realize you and I often don’t see eye to eye, but what exactly have I done that has encouraged you to show me such disrespect?”
Corbin’s expression maintained its glower and he refused to look at Oz, but he answered the question.  You told on me to Charge Seren, didn’t you?  You were there when things happened with Pilot Sabik.  You couldn’t just be quiet!”
Oz’s face twitched with annoyance.  “Excuse me, Backer Corbin, but you’re making an awful lot of accusations, most of which are false.”
“No they’re not!” Corbin argued, and it was clear that the words were said just for the sake of arguing and not with any ability to prove them.  The young man had let himself into a mindset that was determined to be unreasonable.
“You will mute it, Backer Corbin,” Ozias said with full authority and feeling no qualms about pulling rank.  The young man needed to listen without determining what he wanted to say.  Corbin’s eyes widened with surprise, but the rarely used order was obeyed.
“I think I need to make something clear to you at this point, Backer,” Oz said when Corbin finally appeared to be listening.  “Charge Seren is not the only one allowed to administer disciplinary measures.  Charges also have that allowance to a certain degree over their teams.  I feel I’ve been mercifully lenient with you over the last couple months, but I will no longer offer grace on disrespect to me or to another Charge.  Is that understood?”
Still following the order to be silent, Corbin nodded.
“Good,” Oz stated, his voice still stern.  “Now I would like to make it clear that I did not inform Charge Seren of your argument with Pilot Sabik.  How he found out is his business and if he hasn’t chosen to tell you who informed him, then that’s his right.  You should be careful who you accuse of things.  A false accusation to the wrong person could get you or them in a lot of unwelcome trouble.  Got that?”
Another nod that was offered a bit more slowly, but he clearly still had Corbin’s attention.
“You should also be aware that as your Charge, and with us both being under Charge Seren’s leadership, I would have had every right to inform him of your behavior while he was gone.  You are sorely lacking in self-accountability, and I dare say that he could help you in that area.  Blaming others for the consequences of your bad choices is childish and you’re above that, or if you aren’t, you should be,” Oz scolded.
“Lastly, I think it’s high time I am made aware of the cause of the apparent animosity you have toward me.  If I’m in the wrong, then I have the right to know so I don’t repeat a mistake.  If I haven’t done anything, then maybe you need to ask yourself exactly where the problem lies.”
Corbin remained quiet for an extended time and Oz barely managed to roll his eyes.  “Backer Corbin, I don’t know if your silence now is obedience to my earlier order to mute it, or a passive aggressive attack.  For one last time, I’ll assume it’s obedience, but now I’d like you to open your mouth and answer my questions.”
Upset eyes met his gaze and the words were mumbled, but there.  “You don’t like me.  You’re always bossing me around.”
Again, Oz had to work not to roll his eyes, and for a moment he felt grateful that Amrynn and Cayson never made him feel like their relationship was a guessing game.
“Corbin, I’m the Charge Leader of the Agricultural Unit and you’re currently one of my Backers.  It’s part of my job to issue assignments and delegate responsibilities to those capable of them.”
“But you’re always telling me to work faster or better, or changing the job on me.”
“Yes, I do,” Ozias admitted.  “The orders to do something better or faster are because you often get distracted and I need your focus.  I know the Ag unit isn’t your first choice, but I know you’re capable of the work and I expect quality from the people under me, just as much as I expect from myself.
“As far as changing the jobs on you, I was trying to find an assignment that you felt more suited for, or at least desirous to do.  I wasn’t trying to confuse you, and I am sorry if I did that.
“However, you haven’t stopped arguing or fighting against my directives since the beginning.  You have not yet earned a Charge ranking, Corbin.  You are under orders, not the giver of them, and you need to accept that.  If you disagree with something, you either need to discuss it maturely with me, or say nothing and accept that it is my orders that will be fulfilled.  Do you realize that I’ve had to pull three other Backers aside and issue a verbal warning to them because they were following your example of disputing with me?  It was a poor choice on their part and they are responsible for that choice, but do you think it was fair to them to be that example?”
Corbin’s eyes reflected shock at that revelation.  “I didn’t mean to cause trouble for anyone.  You think I’m a bad example?”
Oz sighed to himself.  Talking to Corbin felt like talking to a genius ten-year-old in a man’s body.  He’d also seen enough of Corbin’s talent and charm (when he wasn’t arguing) to have let the young man garner a spot in him that felt both irritated and soft-hearted toward the Backer.
“No, Corbin, I don’t think of you as a bad example, nor do I dislike you, although you do frustrate me sometimes.  I think that you make a lot of your decisions instantaneously based on how you feel in that moment, not based on careful thought.  When you are denied what you want, you get upset and react by arguing or casting blame.  When you’re upset with yourself, you are a martyr.  And when you’re happy,” Oz added, “you’re a joy to be around and working with you is good and productive.”
Corbin had a look on his face like he didn’t know which way was up, although it may have surprised the Charge that Corbin was thinking about how similar Oz’s words were to Charge Seren’s. 
Oz took in the distress he saw and softened his tone a bit more, feeling instinctively that right now it was better to err on the side of gentleness than sternness.  He wanted Corbin to listen and understand, not react defensively.
“Corbin, I’d like us to get along better, not just because I’m your current Charge, but because we are a small group of a hundred and twenty about to live together on a new planet.  It will help greatly if we are friends and not enemies.  Now, I am sorry for the times I’ve confused you in the work I’ve asked of you, as well as unintentionally giving you the impression that you were not liked.  However, I will not apologize for leading you as I do my other Backers, or for requiring the same standard of quality from you as I do everyone…because I know you are capable of it.”
Corbin seemed to consider his words for a minute, and then he nodded slowly.  “I’m sorry for being difficult.  I don’t mean to be, but I guess I do tend to act…rashly,” he admitted.  “I haven’t felt comfortable, I guess, doing work I’m not used to, and I guess I wanted to try to control things I don’t have the right to control.”
“That sounds pretty accurate,” Oz agreed.  “I hope you and I have an understanding now, but please remember that I am still your Charge and I will be issuing orders.”
“I will,” Corbin promised.
“Thank you,” Oz said sincerely.  “Now I think we’ve both taken up enough of Charge Seren’s time.  My partners and I have a meeting with him, and I’m sure he has other things to do today as well.”
           Corbin agreed and rose, and even went so far as to almost shyly extend his hand.  Ozias shook it, accepting the sentiment behind the gesture.

6 comments:

  1. I think Corbin really needed to hear what Seren and Oz had to say. Now if he will just take it to heart. Though I don't want him reformed to quick! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corbin did need to hear it. He's smart, but it might take some time for change to really take root. Thanks, KK!
      JL-

      Delete
  2. Not that I think he needs to be reformed! Just to work slowly on the issues he has. I think confidence and self-esteem could be needed. Patience too though who doesn't need a dose of that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corbin definitely has some issues to work with--a lot of his struggles stem from insecurity. Patience is definitely something he needs to work on as well :)
      JL-

      Delete
  3. He might have needed to hear what Oz and Seren said, but it doesnt change my feelings of wanting to cuddle him! He just got scolded by the person he admires and his immediate supervisor.

    He's definitely like a teny year old genius sometimes..and that makes me want to soften the sterness he rightly earns...

    He needs a long hug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you want to cuddle him, Yojin Chung :) Corbin can be a bit prickly, but he's a good soul.
      JL-

      Delete