Friday, April 8, 2016

The Travelers - Chapter 8



*Holding boxa type of strong box for storing weapons
*Vice Leader - second in command.  Depending on the situation, it's a similar role as a vice president, a deputy sheriff...etc.
*Shorters - shorts or short pants

*****


Chapter 8

Amrynn had her communicator strapped to her side, so was able to answer it immediately when it rang even as her eyes never lifted from the microscope she was staring into.
“Yes?” she said distractedly.  A familiar chuckle greeted her. 
“Do we still need to teach you proper communication etiquette, dearling?”
“Cayson,” she replied with her own chuckle and a teasing voice.  “I think I know how to get any meaning I want across to you.”
“Touché.  I take it I caught you testing?”
“Studying some of the water samples,” she corrected.
“So you wouldn’t be at all interested to know that Charge Seren and the team are expected back within the hour?”
“They are?!” she responded excitedly, her samples immediately forgotten.
Cayson laughed through the line.  “I thought that might grab your attention.  The team is back in communicator range and Charge Seren contacted Pilot Sabik to let her know of their impending arrival.”
“How did you find out?”
“Pilot Sabik called me.  Charge Seren requested my presence to give an initial exam to everyone before they move too far into the ship.  He doesn’t want to risk anyone if there are signs they’re infected by anything.  He also didn’t want it to be made open knowledge that they were back until I could give a clean bill of health, so don’t pass this info along.  I have permission to tell you and Oz, but that’s it.”
Amrynn’s voice became concerned.  “Be careful, Cay.  Don’t put yourself at risk before you know what you’re dealing with.”
“I’ll take the necessary precautions, but I’m not expecting to find anything.  Seren told Sabik that no one is injured or feels ill.  He’s just making sure to safeguard the Travelers against anything.”
There was respect in the statement and Amrynn held mutual admiration for their Charge Pilot.  “He’s a good man.  I hope the mission went well.  I’ve been dying to hear about it.  Do you think he’ll hold a conference this evening?”
“I can’t read his thoughts, Am.  I don’t know. I guess it might depend on whether the information is necessary to be shared immediately.”
“If he doesn’t plan a conference tonight, try to find out all you can from him,” she told him.
Cay chuckled again.  “Nosy kid,” he teased.
“Hey!”
“Statement of fact, Amrynn.  You were always nosing your way into what Oz and I were doing as kids, and you’re still younger than us and that makes you a kid,” he ribbed mercilessly.
“Hmph.  See if I let you ‘nose’ into anything with me later, you old man.”
Cayson’s voice went a tone lower.  “Be careful what you dare, little girl.  I just might take up the challenge.”
Tingles ran through Amrynn’s stomach as she flashed back to the first time Cayson took up the challenge of a dare she issued.  For a moment she felt fifteen all over again.  Her voice dropped to match Cay’s.  “I dare you,” she said purposefully.
The low growl on the other end said she’d gotten the reaction she wanted, and she now rather hoped that Charge Seren would hold off calling a conference.
“Just wait till I get my hands on you later,” he promised.  “See you tonight, Miela.”
Both were smiling when they hung up, and Cay was glad he’d called Oz before Amrynn this time.  If he’d had to call his husband now, Oz would totally pick up on his arousal and most likely do what he could to egg it on.

*****
Tired and with a bittersweet feeling in him, Seren led the team of six to the now visible ship.  After five days of openness and fresh air, he wasn’t keen to reenter the small rooms and walled in areas, but he could say that the idea of hot water and a long bathing time was very appealing.
It was clear he and his team were expected.  The doors opened as soon as they reached them, and it made Seren glad to see the smile of welcome from his friend and co-pilot, Sabik, as well as Charge Doctor Cayson. 
“Welcome back!” Sabik greeted, her smile bright and large. 
Seren couldn’t help smiling in return.  Sabik had become a good friend and trusted co-pilot during their travel to Neveah.  “Thank you, Sabik.  I trust all has been well?”
She nodded as he and the men set down packs and placed their protectors in assigned holding boxes.  “No serious problems.  We had a small handful of Travelers in a mild panic when your communicators went out of range, but several Charges stepped in to help calm them.  Other than that and a growing frequency of requests to disembark, there’ve been no worries.”
Seren felt the pull of his status as the leader get stronger.  “I know you would have denied those requests.  Did anyone rebel?”
“No, sir.  A few arguments were dealt with, but no one defied us.”
Seren nodded, but gave an order.  “I’d like the names of those who argued your directive.  I’ll have a word with them.  I’d also appreciate if you’d send out a ship-wide transmission.  Keep it simple, but let everyone know we’re back safely and that there will be a mandatory conference set up tomorrow evening…time to be determined.”
“Yes, sir,” Pilot Sabik acquiesced, although Charge Cayson spoke up quickly.
“If it’s all right, Charge Seren, I’d request that Pilot Sabik delay sending the transmission until I can confirm the safety and health of all of you.”
“Of course,” Seren agreed.  “Where would you like us?”
“Pilot Sabik and I temporarily rearranged the adjoining stock room to accommodate a medic table and supplies. I can take one at a time to be examined and we won’t alert the rest of the ship of your presence prematurely.”
Seren concurred with that plan and insisted all his men get checked out first.  He waited in the room they’d initially entered for his turn, occasionally talking with Sabik and the others, but getting quieter as the minutes ticked by, his weariness making itself known.
“Seren?” Sabik’s voice interrupted the daze he’d let himself fall into.
“Hm?” he murmured, and then heard the unprofessional tone to his voice and worked to put his attention back where it needed to be.  “What is it, Sabik?”
“Are you all right?  You’re looking pale.”
“I’m fine.”
Her gaze didn’t turn away from his.  “When did you last eat?”
He grinned despite himself.  “I’ve spent the last two months telling you that you worry too much.  I’m fine, Sabik.  The men and I ate a mid-meal before we returned.  I just need some rest.”
Silence, and then the sound of rustling as his co-pilot stood from her chair.  I’m placing an order for a meal for you,” she said inarguably.  “I’ll pick it up and get it to you so you don’t have to walk the corridors.  I’ll also include in the transmission that you aren’t to be disturbed until tomorrow unless an emergency arises.”
“No, Sabik,” Seren negated.  “I won’t have the Travelers thinking that I would choose to be unavailable to them, especially after being gone for five days.  I’d appreciate having a meal delivered, but you aren’t to tell anyone that they can’t contact me.”
“But, sir…”
“Sabik,” he interrupted sternly.  “Will you be needing to put yourself on the list of people who dispute higher orders?”
She looked taken aback and duly chastised.  “No, Charge Seren.  I apologize…but you need to rest,” she couldn’t help inserting quickly.
Seren softened his tone and spoke to her as the friend she was and not her superior.  “I know, Sabik, and I will, but not at the cost to a Traveler’s need.”
She sighed but accepted his words, although spoke almost thoughtfully after he said them.  “I couldn’t do your job.”
He didn’t agree.  “You’ve been my Vice Leader this whole trip and the one to go to since I’ve been gone.  You have done my job.”
She shook her head.  “Not as well as you, and not with the same heart that you do it, Seren.  Chief Win was right to assign you this role.”
Seren took a deep breath, feeling encouraged by her words.  “Thank you, Sabik.”
She smiled briefly and nodded.  “I’ll go put the order in for your meal and deliver it to your quarters once Charge Cayson is done with you.”  She nodded her head toward the door that just opened.  “Everyone else has been examined.  Looks like it’s your turn.”

*****
“Your readings are good, sir,” Cayson determined after a careful examination of the Charge Pilot.  “But it’s clear you’re exhausted.  I’d recommend a heavy meal and an uninterrupted night if you can manage it.”
“I’d like nothing better, but I’m afraid that’s not always possible,” Seren stated. 
Cayson nodded, seeming to understand; and Seren assumed that as a medical doctor, Cayson probably did empathize with the fact that emergencies tended to happen at the most inopportune times.
“I hope you can get to your quarters without being mobbed,” Cay offered, and then momentarily looked rueful.  “If I can ask before you go though, what was Neveah like?  I’m fairly sure Amrynn will thump me if I don’t tell her something.”
Seren grinned despite his tiredness.  “Tell her I said it was beautiful and filled with enough novelty to keep us entertained for years.”
Cay beamed.  “She’ll be thrilled.  She feared you’d come back to tell us it wasn’t suitable.”
“From what I’ve seen, it’s more than suitable, but there are dangers; manageable ones if we’re wise and careful, but they are there nonetheless.”
Cayson nodded.  “I can’t imagine anywhere would be without risk, but you’ve put some of my fears at ease.”
“Good,” Seren said simply.  “Share it with Amrynn and Ozias, but you’ll have to wait for the rest at the conference tomorrow.”
“Of course, sir.  Have a good night.”
“Thank you, Cayson.”
Using passageways that were rarely occupied, Seren made it to his stateroom without running into anyone.  He was relieved.  He meant what he’d said to Sabik.  He’d be available to the Travelers if they needed him, but he truly wasn’t up to answering everyone’s curiosity that night. 
He sank into his small couch, just enjoying the peace of the room until a knock sounded at his door.  With a sigh and a groan, he rose from his position and answered the summons.
“It’s just me,” Sabik greeted with understanding.  “And don’t you invite me in,” she insisted when he opened his mouth.  “You need food and rest, not someone chattering in your ear.”
She was right, but Seren couldn’t help himself.  “You’re always welcome, Sabik.  You know that.”
“I know, but tonight is your time.  If you don’t want to be by yourself, I’ll stay; otherwise I think you deserve some peace.”
He nodded once.  “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”
She smiled, looking pleased to have won the debate.  “Tomorrow, sir.”
Seren took his food to the kitchenette when she left, then changed his mind when he saw what she’d brought.  Everything on the plate was easily managed finger food.  The choices were meant to be filling, but not anything that required dirtying utensils.  He took the plate into his bathing area and filled the soaker while picking at the fare.  He continued to munch as he sank into the hot water and moaned in appreciation.  The heat soothed well-worked muscles and the food was quickly filling a hungry stomach.  He soaked for close to an hour, wishing it was sensible to sleep surrounded by the relaxing warmth.  Eventually he set aside the empty plate, drained the water and slowly dried off.  With no one around, he didn’t bother to redress in night attire; instead he slid under the covers of his bed as he was and immediately went to sleep.

*****
Cay arrived at his quarters with strong thoughts of both Amrynn and the brief insights into Neveah that Seren had offered him.  He was excited to relay Seren’s words, and just as excited to pursue other…pastimes. 
He, Amrynn and Oz all preferred to share most of their intimate times when all three were available, but they didn’t deny each other having the occasional one on one time as well.  He didn’t know if Oz would be available to join them that evening, but he knew that he very much wanted to feel Am’s skin against his and bury himself in her warmth.
He spotted her as soon as the door opened.  She’d changed into shorters that accentuated her long legs, and a shirt she’d clearly abducted from one of his drawers.  The material engulfed her slim form, making her look both adorable and sensual.  Her smile at him revealed that she was thinking of their intimate phone discourse from earlier as much as he had been.  He said nothing, but as the door closed behind him he lifted a hand and beckoned her with one finger.  Her face flushed prettily at the gesture and she came to him quickly, her arms slipping seductively around his waist and her body pressing against his.  He dipped his head and kissed her soundly as he held her close to him. 
It took effort to pull his lips away, but when they left her mouth he let them graze along her cheek and slowly move to her ear.  He heard the huskiness in his own voice when he spoke.
“Do you dare me, little girl?”
A shiver ran the length of her body, arousing him even more. 
“I dare you,” she whispered as her slim fingers slid into his waistband and caressed the skin of his backside.
He groaned slightly at the sensation.  “Tease,” he murmured before his lips found hers again.  Almost of its own accord, his body urged her to the room’s bed and he did exactly as they both wanted and lost himself in her.

2 comments:

  1. I glad they can have one on one time. I think it would be important to foster each relationship. I like to read about threesomes and how their relationships are handled. I don't think I could do it but it sure is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important that the all have one-on-one time as well as time as a threesome. It makes their bond stronger. Thanks so much for always commenting, KK! I so appreciate it!
      JL-

      Delete